Sunday, October 27, 2013

Vegemite - An Australian Icon

Hi Guys,

Mel from Mellywood's Mansion here today for the last instalment of our Sandwiches and Soup series.

First up, I'm going to say, I hate to cook, love to bake, hate to cook! Sandwiches for me are all about the convenience, it's like fast food at home, they're not fancy, they're just fuel. However there is one sandwich spread that is as Aussie as it gets and that's Vegemite!


So what is in this brown spread we all adore, brewers yeast extract, it is a by product of beer. That's right friends, come to Australia and we will feed you the leftovers from the beer making process.

It's a salty little treat that is actually very good for you. It is the worlds richest source of vitamin b, practically calorie free and Aussie kids have been brought up on this stuff for 90 years.


Last week Vegemite celebrated it's 90th birthday and is still made to the exact recipe that started it all. 

Vegemite on toast, is all I ate for the first trimester of my pregnancies, it's also a brilliant cure for when one was a little excessive with their wine intake the night before.


Kids running and playing with joy are referred to as "Happy Little Vegemites".

If you live here and don't know this song, your citizenship needs to be revoked.





So if you happen to be walking the supermarket and you see a jar of this little delight, pick it up and put the rose in your cheeks!

Edited:
After a comment I thought I would share a you tube clip of an American trying Vegemite, quite hilarious, believe me you do not eat it with a spoon it is spread very thinly with plenty of butter or margarine.


As for Soups, I'm going to be completely honest, my oven has packed up, which has lead into a kitchen makeover and things are quite disastrous, so we are currently cooking on the BBQ which is not very conducive to soup making.

Have you tried Vegemite? Let me know what you thought.



If you have a favourite soup or sandwich recipe (or both) be sure to come back and link it up Monday, Nov. 4th.  We'd love to see what you've made!




Be sure to come back next Monday to link up your favourite Sandwhich or Soup posts. 



Inspiration Cafe is looking for guest posters and contributors. If you would like to guest please let us know, we would love to have you. If you would prefer a feature instead, feel free to drop us a line. New or old posts welcome.












Thanks for reading,

Mel xo

I'd Be Delighted If You Followed Mellywood's Mansion!
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here
project-name-for-SEO-purposes-here

17 comments:

  1. Okay.. so Mel... what does it TASTE like? Is it any good? Thick brown stuff can be daunting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours are black and no, I would also never take a spoonful straight from the bottle ;-) As you said thinly spread on toast = simple, but delicious ! {I would however love to compare the taste of your Vegemite and our Marmite } Oh, and we have a cheese flavored one as well, but I don't think we'll like it, so I've never tried some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered about it, simply from the song from when I was a kid (everyone looked up 'Vegemite' to see what that guy was talking about!). How fun that you've put up the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post Mel! I have to confess...I have tried Vegemite. We had guy at work bring some back from Australia and he put it on saltine crackers for us to try. I did not love it. Maybe if it had been on warm toast with butter it would have been better. I thought it was very salty and even more so on the saltine crackers. I guess it is to you guys like our peanut butter is to us, which begs the question....can you do other things with it in cooking? Thanks for sharing this post and the videos were great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be one of the few people (and my 4 kids) in Australia who HATES Vegemite. A few weeks ago we discovered that our beloved MARMITE was back on the supermarket shelves and all I can say was HALLELUJAH. 2 years is a long time to go without a brekkie spread. It also doesn't hurt that I was born in New Zealand and I will always stay loyal to a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm? I do wonder if it's made by Kraft why hasn't it taken off in the US? I guess it all depends on what you're fed while growing up. Every culture has its' "weird" foods. Oops - no offense, Mel. Your post is very informative and it's always great to learn about new and different things so I thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is hilarious (the American trying it clip). Vegemite itself sounds *interesting*. I think I might stick with my jams, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am crying right now!!! That clip is exactly how I felt when my Dad gave me a spoonful of Marmite as a kid and told me it was chocolate jam. I know they're not the same to an Aussie or a Kiwi, but they basically both taste the same to an American...like ass. Snorts and tears watching the video. Ohhh. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have just said that your post is about an ass sandwich. Sorry. Viva Australia.

      Delete
    2. BWahahahahahaha!!! Mel and Heather...You've both killed me today!!

      -andi

      Delete
  9. ohhhh!!! had to watch it again. This is my favorite blog post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds interesting, but I don't know if I'd like the flavor. But then again, I just mentioned eating pork skins in my latest post, so who am I to talk...?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That video of the American is hilarious!! I've never heard of vegemite, but it's always interesting to learn about what's eaten in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was an exchange student I met several Australians. They made vegemite on these biscuit-type things with sprinkles. It was odd but quite yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so have to try this, but I have to stop laughing first, how funny!! I know I've heard the word vegemite, but I never made the correlation to sandwich spread or Austrailia. This was so fun and informative, Mel! And I am going to pick me up some. I might make Ken try it first, though :=)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, my Dad also got me with the old "chocolate jam" trick. After that it turned into a food weapon at my house. Along with refried beans and mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha I had to keep looking away during the challenge video in case he hurled! Omg who would eat it by the spoonful! Then the description of Condensed Milk with Soy Sauce ! - I literally dry heaved! I love me some Marmite though...okay Vegemite is good too ;-)

    ReplyDelete