Sunday, April 21, 2013

Heritage Series - ANZAC Biscuits - Mellywood's Mansion





Hi Guys,

Mel from Mellywood's Mansion here, today I am sharing a recipe that represents the pride of our nation ANZAC Biscuits.

ANZAC stand for the Australian & New Zealand Army Corps, these biscuits were created and baked by the wives and mothers of our "diggers" (The name we call our Aussie soldiers) . They have a long shelf life and were sent as care packages during the first and second world wars.

ANZAC day is the 25th of April, on this day in 1915 the Aussie diggers, many of whom were barely men, landed in Gallipoli in an effort to defeat Turkey. 8000 Aussie diggers lost their lives that day, fighting for the freedom we enjoy today and the remaining men were forced to retreat. However, it brought about the birth of Australia, and a new federation had come into it's own.

ANZAC Biscuits

1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of rolled oats
1/2 a cup of dessicated coconut
125 gr of butter
2 Tbs of Golden Syrup (For those unable to get it you can make your own very easily see here for that recipe)
1 TBS of water
1/2 tsp of Bicarb Soda

Sift the flour into a bowl and ad the other dry ingredients except for the bicarb soda
Melt the butter, golden syrup and water together


Once melted add the bicarb soda which will froth and should look like this


Roll into walnut size balls place on a greased tray then flatten with the back of a fork


Bake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for around 15 minutes.





Then it's time to knock off for smoko , grab your billy tea and enjoy a biccie or two (take a break for afternoon or morning tea).

In honor of those lost diggers, we remember them in a dawn service and I will leave you with the Ode of Remembrance :


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.



Lest we forget







Don't forget next week is our first link party, we'd love for you to share your heritage or special dishes with us.

Thanks for reading,

Mel xo










17 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Mel! I may use it to wrap-up our study of WWII. I use the Canadian "In Flanders Field" for WWI. I'm sure my students wonder if I can do anything "American."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. So informational and interesting. I love that you shared a recipe that has such a powerful story behind it. It looks delicious. I loved looking at your ingredients too...fun to see packaging from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post, Mel! I love the poem. I love the recipe - I want to try these! Thanks for the wonderful share for our Heritage Food Series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fav biccies!!!! Such an awesome post Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe looks delicious! Pinned :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look yummy and what a story behind them. Fab post Mel!

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look yum!!! I'd love to try some biccies and tea. What a great story behind the recipe. Thanks, Mel ` Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great sounding recipe! Thanks for sharing the history behind these biscuits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing, isn't it, that the freedoms we enjoy today are so vastly different from not all that long ago. The tribute poem was sad but nice. That's a lot of people lost in one day, and I imagine they were about the age my oldest two boys are now. *sigh*

    These look tasty, I like that they're walnut-sized. That's the perfect size for a little treat with tea (or coffee ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post Mel. Such historic cookies!! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They sound easy and good! I remember watching Gallipoli with Mel Gibson and it was SO sad. Visiting Australia is on my bucket list! Guess I'll have to make some ANZAC biddies and enjoy them until I get the chance! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love when you speak Australian! golden syrup is on my list of things to find so I can make them real authentic like. Love the story behind them! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look yummy. Going to pin on my "Recipes to Try" board. Love the background story too; makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These biscuits look so delicious. Thanks for posting these! have a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing, Mel- what a wonderful tribute, and the biscuits look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, great post, Mel - they look delish and so practical. What a story - horribly sad to think of Gallipoli, but it helps to imagine the support of the people back home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's almost inconceivable to imagine 8,000 lives lost in one offensive. So much love and concern must have gone into those sweets and it's wonderful that you shared the recipe with us Mel!

    ReplyDelete