Thursday, February 14, 2013

Reversible Sleep Mask from Amy at Clippie Dips

Amy from Clippie Dips  is here today....


Supplies:

-fabric scraps
-fusible fleece
-thread
-scissors
-rotary cutter and mat (optional)
-sewing machine or needle if sewing by hand
-elastic
-fabric marker for tracing
-template-print and cut out


From your scraps, cut (4) 2.5" x 5.5" strips. (I'm using a Chemistry jelly roll but this project is great for scraps.) These pieces will be sewn together to make the front.


For the back, cut (1) piece 5.5" x 8.5". Set aside.

Cut 2 pieces of fusible fleece 5 ¼” x 8 ¼”. If you don’t have any fusible fleece, you could also use batting. Set aside.

Lay out the 4 pieces of scraps you previously cut, long sides together in an order that's pleasing to you.


Take your first strip and flip it over the second one so that they are right sides together. Sew down the left side using a 1/4" seam.


Once done, it will look like this.


Now, take the third strip and flip it over onto the last one so that they are also right sides together. Sew down the left side using a 1/4" seam allowance.


Take these 2 pieces to your iron and press seams open.


Now, lay out  your sewn pieces so that they are in the same order as when we first began like shown below.


Flip the first sewn section over onto the second one and sew down the left side with a 1/4" seam. 


Once done, press the seam open.

Now, here are the pieces you should have: front, back and 2 fusible fleece.


Iron the fleece on to back side of both pieces of fabric. I always cut my fleece a tad small so I won't get sticky stuff on my iron. When you're done, trace the template onto both your front and back pieces. I use a Disappearing Ink marker. 


After tracing, cut both pieces out. They will look like this.


Now, place your back mask piece on your sewing mat, right side up. I cut my elastic to 14". You may want to measure your own head to get the right size. Pin each end of the elastic onto both edges of your mask piece. From the picture, you can see that I pinned my elastic slightly above the 2" mark on my mat. But you can eyeball it-it doesn't have to be perfect!


Take pinned piece to your machine and make tiny stitches across the elastic about an 1/8" from the edge. Do this on both sides. This is just to keep the elastic in place. I took this picture without a flash so you could see the tiny stitches.


Pin the elastic out of the way. You can see I pinned mine in the middle.


Mark a 2 1/2" long section on your front mask piece as shown below. This will be our opening for turning.


Place your mask front piece on top of the back piece, right sides together and match up the outer edges. Pin all the way around.


Now we're going to sew a 1/4" seam allowance all the way around. Start sewing at one of your marks and sew all the way around stopping at the other mark. Do not sew in between those 2 marks! Backstitch at the beginning and end. 

Remove from your machine and reach in through the opening and pull out that pin you used to secure the elastic in the middle. Then take your scissors and make little snips along the rounded edges of your mask. Be careful not to cut the thread!!


Reach into the hole and pull your mask out through the opening. Press if you like. Then pin the opening closed and sew all the way around, closing that opening as you go. 


And you're done! Reading through this, it may seem complicated because of all the pictures and the fact that it's such a LONG post. But, I do that so that even a beginner can use my tutorials to make pretty things!



7 comments:

  1. Amy that is a great tutorial and the fabrics are just so pretty! I'm not a great sleeper and maybe I need to try a sleep mask! Thank you for sharing this and guest posting here today at the Inspiration Cafe! We loved having you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! The fabrics you used are so cute. I love a sewing project. Thanks for guesting here at the Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great tutorial Amy, and I love the project, so glad to have you here today xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's really pretty. great scrap buster too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a couple nights ago I was wishing I had an eye mask. I've pinned this so I can make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun project and great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made one! It's so cute. Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete