Sunday, November 4, 2012

Inspiration Series - Beautiful Butterfly Necklace

Hi Everyone,

If you haven't met me before, I'm Natalie and I blog over at NorthShore Days.

 I live on the beautiful North Shore in Auckland, New Zealand and I am so honored to be part of this great collaboration called Inspiration Cafe! I hope you will pop over and visit my blog when you can.

Here at the Cafe we have been chatting about "What Inspires" us...this week is my turn...

I guess there are a number of things that inspire me... I'm a "giver" always have been and always will be... I love it when I see happiness and joy on the faces of those that receive. People inspire me....
My family inspires me....I try to surround myself with happiness and positivity....that too, inspires me... to be happy and positive and to pass it onto others.

My passion is crafting and especially jewelry making.... I love to share my ideas and tutorials with everyone...

I am most inspired by nature and I try to incorporate it into my simple designs as often as I can.

So today I want to share a very easy statement necklace tutorial with you all.

 I can't tell you how much fun I had creating this necklace... its so simple to make and so rewarding to see the finished results.

What you will need for 1 necklace:

A Pendant, Long Headpins, Beads, Chain, Jump Rings and a Clasp
 A pair of long nosed pliers and a pair of round nosed jewelry pliers.

If you don't have jewelry pliers, then just use the long nose pliers, your links won't be as rounded but that's okay!

How to Make the Necklace: 
(following the step by step photos)

1. Choose the beads you are going to use and lay them out.

2. Make sure you have enough headpins for the number of beads you will use.

3. Thread a bead onto a long headpin.

4. Bend the headpin at a 90 degree angle, on both sides.

5. Using the round nosed jewelry pliers bend the headpin back around to form a loop.

6. Repeat for the other side. Then make up all the beads and headpins

7. Attach the beads together by gently opening a loop and slipping onto the loop of the next bead. Alternating with pieces of chain cut to the length you like. There is no rhyme or reason to the design so have fun...

8. I attached my Pendant onto a jump ring, linking two beads.

9. Measure the beaded part of the necklace to ensure both sides are even. I like to make necklaces to measure 55cm (21.5 inches).

Attach chain to make up the required length and add the clasp.

10. Enjoy your new necklace
So pretty right? 

I have to admit I'm quite enamoured with it....

  

The necklace turned out so well that I just had to make another one, in beautiful Autumn colors
  
 I've actually ordered more of these pendants, just because I love them so much....
 I hope you are inspired to try your hand at one of these super simple necklaces...

Take care,have a fab week and thank you for stopping by the Cafe.
See you again very soon.

xxx

Photobucket 


and:

TDC Before and After

57 comments:

  1. This necklace is so simple yet very beautiful. I really love the jewelry you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful Nat!!! You inspire me to try my hand at necklaces. Something I haven't ventured into just yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Lisa - it took me a while to really enjoy it too. xx

      Delete
  3. You are so talented! I am going to have to seriously consider adding a new past time to the bunch...wonder what The Mister will have to say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hunni, you so have to give this jewelry making lark a try - its great fun xxx

      Delete
  4. This necklace is gorgeous...You have a wonderful for eye for colors and forms! I'm so glad you linked up and shared at Thanksgiving Treats and Fall Fun so I could not only see this post but see your amazing blog. I'm following along on GFC so I can keep up with your great projects. Have a great day!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay, thank you for following us Marilyn. And thank you for your sweet comment xx Nat

      Delete
  5. I am so amazed by you! I'm like Heather in that I keep considering making jewelry (in all my spare time, lol) because you inspire me. You make it look so doable and fun! Today I stood in the bead aisle at Michael's Crafts and just stared at ALL OF THE BEAD CHOICES. It was out of this world! How would I even start choosing!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much hun. It is so do-able really! To choose what you would like to make - start with colour - what colours do you like together, then think of earrings, necklace etc - it takes a wee while and your collection of beads grows and so does your confidence.

      Delete
  6. LOVE THIS! The pendant is very cool:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Talya - I'm anxiously awaiting more of these pendants - then they are destined for the craft show next week xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Natalie: I'm Connie at http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, a new GFC friend. I would love if you stop by and be mine, too.
    The necklace is gorgeous. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you heaps Connie. Happily following you too xx Nat

      Delete
  8. So pretty! I need to get into making Jewelry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather - you should give it a try - great for gift ideas. My friends love getting jewelry for their birthdays - I even get requests now lol

      Delete
  9. I love what "inspires" you, Natalie...I see what inspires you in your posts and your giving heart.

    I love this tutorial. The necklaces are beautiful, just like your spirit! So glad you brought the five of us together! Thank you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you my dear friend - how lucky I am that we "met" so soon into our blogging journey and have shared so much along the way. You guys make this so worth while xxxx

      Delete
  10. Wow Natalie, what a beautiful necklace!! And your color choices were awesome. You make it look so easy!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it is easy and so so much fun xxx Nat

      Delete
  11. It is gorgeous - and I have some of the beads you have used...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay Donna - I used the Jesse James Design Elements range - so so expensive but just gorgeous, I couldn't resist. xx Nat

      Delete
  12. I do love the necklace, I would love to have a go at something like that. So pretty
    janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice you really should give it a try. This design would work with any type of beads or pendants.
      Thanks for your sweet comment

      Delete
  13. How beautiful! You make it looks so easy...you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it was really easy to make this necklace. Its bound for a craft show next week - not sure I want to part with it though

      Delete
  14. that is beautiful! I've always wanted to make jewelry! love IC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula, its so easy, you should give it a try xx Nat

      Delete
  15. I love the beads you used - really unusual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, they are really expensive beads but I couldn't resist xx Nat

      Delete
  16. Beautiful, Natalie. Your tutorial is nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just stopping by to invite you to My Wednesday Linky party. http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/11/whatcha-work-up-wednesday-linky-party-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful necklace, and a lovely clear tutorial!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous piece :o)

    Thanks for partying with us this week at Keep Calm & Link Up!! Happy Friday!!
    xo, Meredith @ www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is gorgeous! Love it both versions of it and the colors are lovely!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really love the autumn colored one! Thank you for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations! I really appreciate each person who takes the time to come by and link up. I'm getting the features organized for the next party and YOU will be featured :o) Hope you will stop by and grab a featured button if you want. I've already posted this to my pinterest and facebook and the party link will be live Monday night as always. http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/11/some-fall-baking-tasteful-tuesday-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! Love the color of the all beads you combined with the butterfly -- I'd have a hard time choosing just one necklace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlene - I think I like the green one for myself though...

      Delete
  23. Such a great design idea and easy to follow tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing this on BeColorful this week.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  24. Natalie, that is such a pretty necklace! I'd love to get something like that for Christmas, but since my MIL is the jewelry maker in the family, I think I'm gonna have to point her this way as a hint :) Thanks for sharing at A Crafty Soiree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie - send your MIL this way - I'll be happy to help xx Nat

      Delete
  25. What a gorgeous necklace! I love anything with a butterfly! Have a great day!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous pendant isnt it Leslie? Thank you so much xx

      Delete